Loading...
HomeMy WebLinkAboutLACAC - 1992-09-11LACAC\1992-09-11 LOCAL ARCHITECTURAL CONSERVATION ADVISORY COMMITTEE MINUTES SEPTEMBER 11, 1992 The Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee met this date, commencing at 12:00 p.m., under the Chairmanship of Alderman M. Wagner, with the following members present: Mayor D. Cardillo, Alderman T. Galloway, Ms. B. Buchanan, Mr. P. Bufe, Ms. S. Burke, Ms. J. Chivers-Wilson, Ms. L. O'Krafka, Mrs. G. Stoner, Mrs. P. Wagner, Ms. S. Barber, Mr. V. Tarbutt, Ms. S. Cragg, Mr. E. Bow and Ms. M. Welsh. Others Present: Messrs. L. Bensason, T.B. Stanley, J. Wallace, J. Willmer, G. Sosnoski and Mrs. D.H. Gilchrist. 1. MINUTES On a motion by Mrs. G. Stoner - It was resolved: "That the minutes of the regular meeting of the Conservation Advisory Committee of August 7, 1992 members, be accepted." Local Architectural , as mailed to the 2. SCENIC ROADS HERITAGE DESIGNATION It was noted that consideration of the possible designation of selected roads in the City was deferred at the August 7, 1992 meeting, to allow Alderman T. Galloway and Mr. J. Wallace to participate in any discussion. Mrs. J. Haalboom and Mrs. P. Nippel of the Doon Pioneer Park Community Association were in attendance to give a slide presentation and request the Committee's consideration of designating certain roads in the City's southwest section as scenic roads. Mrs. Nippel distributed a written report to the Committee members which is attached hereto and forms part of these minutes. Discussion then took place as whether the Heritage Act or the Official Plan would be the most appropriate document to use to try and preserve these roads. Mr. T.B. Stanley advised that this was the key question sparking the Transportation Network Study in this area. This is a critical study which needs to be completed before the Official Plan can be amended. It is anticipated that the study will be completed in the Spring of 1993 along with Council's approval of the Official Plan. Further, Mr. Stanley advised that some of these roads are designated as arterial and collector roads in the existing Official Plan. Mr. J. Wallace addressed the Committee advising of the difficulty in designating these roads as there is no definition for the term "scenic roads" and that "scenic" is in the eye of the beholder. He stated that the term "scenic road" would have to be defined in either the Official Plan or the Heritage Act. He questioned what would be designated: the road, the verge of the road, or perhaps 200 feet on either side of the road. He advised that if the implications of designating these roads is to freeze development in the area, there will be a great uproar. Further, he advised that there may be implications of liability to the City if the roads are not improved and traffic on them increases due to increased development in the area. Mrs. P. Wagner questioned what L.A.C.A.C. could do to protect these roads and advised that there is a professor in Guelph who would be willing to train L.A.C.A.C. in defining scenic roads. Ms. S. Burke gave the opinion that the term "scenic roads" is a poor one and that there may be many levels of preservation to be considered. Alderman T. Galloway advised that it has been made clear to the consultant in the Doon South Transportation Network Study that the preservation of these roads is important. He advised that the development pressures are going to be great as most of the land is owned by developers. He stated that he did not see why these roads cannot be maintained, however there will have to compromises. LOCAL ARCHITECTURAL CONSERVATION ADVISORY COMM/TTEE M/NUTES - 50- SEPTEMBER 11, 199~ SCENIC ROADS HERITAGE DESIGNATION (cont.) Mr. G. Sosnoski advised that in order to designate these roads under the Ontario Heritaqe Act, the historic value of the roadway has to be proven. Further, he suggested that the Committee should decide if this is the proper form for this discussion. Further discussion took place on this matter and it was generally agreed that Planning and Legal staff would have to determine how to handle this matter and under what legislation. Mr. L. Bensason was requested to set up a meeting with Mrs. J. Haalboom, Mrs. P. Nippel and Alderman M. Wagner for further discussions, following which the matter would come back to a full meeting of L.A.C.A.C. Alderman T. Galloway and Mr. V. Tarbutt were requested to continue working with the Doon South Transportation Network Study. 400 KING STREET WEST (KAUFMAN FOOTWEAR) Mr. Paul Britton, MacNaughton, Hermsen, Britton, Clarkson Planning Limited was in attendance to update the Committee on discussions concerning the proposed designation of this property. Mr. Britton advised that good discussions have taken place with the sub-committee and Planning staff and that he is in support of the Planning staff's report to be considered by City Council on September 21, 1992. He advised that Mr. Kaufman is committed to continue working with the sub- committee on design work and he requested L.A.C.A.C.'s continued involvement to determine what is important to retain from a heritage perspective. 100 DUKE STREET WEST (ST. JEROME'S HIGH SCHOOL) Mr. B. Laukenbauer, Madorin, Snyder, Carere, Barristers and Solicitors and Mr. P. Britton, MacNaughton, Hermsen, Britton, Clarkson Planning Limited were in attendance and Mr. Britton addressed the Committee requesting that some minor amendments to the reasons for designation as prepared by the sub-committee and dated September 1, 1992. The amendments being requested are as follows: One of the reasons for designation be amended to recommend that only portions of the 1907 and 1909 buildings be designated, that in Paragraph 4 of the reasons for designation after the words "it is intended that" the word "only" be inserted and the words "in particular" be deleted. Mr. Britton also requested that Paragraph 2 on Page 2 of the reasons for designation be amended to remove the words "in particular" in line 1 of the paragraph and in its place insert the word "only". It was generally agreed that the amendments being requested by Mr. Britton be accepted. The Committee was also in receipt of a letter from Mr. Britton to Mr. L. Bensason and Mr. Britton referred to this letter advising that Item #6 in the letter be amended to refer to sympathetic alterations to the College Street entrance of the 1909 building and not the Duke Street entrance of the 1907 building. Further, Mr. Britton advised that he wished to be able to review the by-law before it goes to Council. The issue was raised as to "interface areas" and it was determined that this terminology would not be adequate and that a more detailed description of these areas would need to be provided. Alderman M. Wagner questioned whether L.A.C.A.C. would be given an opportunity to comment on the removal of any of the building and the addition of brand new buildings with the restoration of the walls. Mr. G. Sosnoski advised that Council's permission is required when the reasons for designation are affected. He stated that every elevation removed from the designation affects this Committee's and Council's ability to comment. He stated that the Committee should decide what its intention is with regard to future alterations to the property; as by removing any elevation from the designation also removes the Committee's right to comment on new construction adjacent to these buildings. Mr. P. Britton suggested that the Committee incorporate into the by-law that 4. 100 DUKE STREET WEST (ST. JEROME'S HIGH SCHOOL) (cont.) LOCAL ARCHITECTURAL CONSERVATION ADVISORY COMM/TTEE M/NUTES - 51- SEPTEMBER 11, 1999 any site plans or redevelopment must come back to L.A.C.A.C. Mr. Britton stated that the existing entrance on the 1909 building is not satisfactory for use of the building and he requested that the by-law provide for sympathetic alterations of the College Street entrance of the 1909 building. Mr. Sosnoski responded that this was not an appropriate vehicle to look after alterations and that type of thing could not be included in the by-law. Mrs. P. Wagner questioned what would happen to the statue of Father Funcken and Mr. Britton advised that it is to be relocated to St. Mary's Church this Fall. When questioned about a legal description, Mr. B. Lackenbauer advised that he wished to have the by-law registered against only that portion of the property covered by the heritage buildings. He stated that he would have to determine if a meets and bounds description would be satisfactory or if a reference plan would be required. Upon further questioning, Mr. Lackenbauer advised that he would provide a legal description for the property as soon as possible. Further discussion took place over the "interface areas" and Ms. L. O'Krafka advised that the interface areas could be described as: the northeast elevation of the 1907 building to which the 1964 addition is attached and the north and east elevations of the 1909 building to which the 1957 addition and 1964 addition are attached. On a motion by Ms. L. O'Krafka - It was resolved: "That pursuant to Ontario Heritaqe Act, R.S.O. 1990, the City Clerk be directed to publish a Notice of Intention to designate the property at 100 Duke Street W. (formerly St. Jerome's High School) as being of historic and architectural significance, and further; That the designation apply to the exterior elevations (save and except that portion of the northeast elevation of the 1907 structure to which the 1964 addition is attached, that portion of the east elevation of the 1909 structure to which the 1964 addition is attached and that portion of the north elevation of the 1909 structure to which the 1957 addition is attached) the roof and the rooflines of the two buildings constructed circa 1907 and 1909 and that portion of the interior of the 1909 building referred to as the Theatre, with the specific architectural features of interest to include, but not be limited to, those outlined in the report of Ms. L. O'Krafka et al dated September 1, 1992, as amended September 11, 1992." Mr. B. Lackenbauer expressed his thanks to the Committee for their pro-active approach in dealing with St. Jerome's High School. 5. ALTERATION REQUEST - 1-11 KING STREET WEST The Committee was advised that the owner is requesting permission to remove the canopy- balcony above the former restaurant on the King Street elevation and replace it with the Trust Company sign of a new tenant. The Committee was in receipt of an extract from By-law #83-55 and the accompanying reasons for designation. Ms. L. Sullivan and Mr. D. Nickel of First City Trust were in attendance along with Mr. P. Critchley, Architect for the project. Mr. Critchley displayed two concept plans for the project, Elevation Study #1 showing a canopy over the front entrance way and Elevation Study #2 showing a sign on the existing marquis over the front entrance way. The Committee was advised that First City Trust's preference would be to remove the marquis and locate a canopy two feet out over the doorway with the other ALTERATION REQUEST - 1-11 KING STREET WEST (cont.) windows having canopies located above them. The Committee was further advised that the canopies would be backlit and the colour would be purple with white lettering. Further, the LOCAL ARCHITECTURAL CONSERVATION ADVISORY COMM/TTEE M/NUTES - 59- SEPTEMBER 11, 1999 Committee was advised that the cornices and lights would be repainted to a light grey colour. The whole concept of the proposed signage, canopies and colouring was discussed with Mr. Critchley advising that the signage is very, very important to the company as they want to have good visibility. With reference to the concept plans submitted, Mr. Critchley advised that the tenants would want one canopy over the door and one canopy over the two King Street windows with each of the Queen Street windows having its own canopy. It was the general feeling of the Committee that the proposed canopies would be inappropriate for this building and a sub-committee of Mr. E. Bow, Ms. S. Burke and Ms. L. O'Krafka was formed to work with First City Trust on their signage and to report back to the whole Committee. HERITAGE RESOURCE POLICIES - PROPOSED OFFICIAL PLAN Mr. L. Bensason gave a overhead presentation in this regard reviewing each of the Draft Heritage Resource Policies for the proposed Official Plan. General discussions took place over these policies and Mr. Bensason advised the Committee that he would like to have feedback from the Committee members before their next meeting. DESIGNATED PROPERTY GRANT APPLICATION - 17 SCHNEIDER AVENUE The Committee was in receipt of a report from Mr. G. Sosnoski dated August 31, 1992 in this regard. On a motion by Mrs. G. Stoner - It was resolved: "That a Designated Property Grant under the Preserving Ontario's Architecture Program for 50% of eligible costs, up to a maximum of $3,000.00, be approved for 17 Schneider Avenue and be used to replace the existing asphalt shingles on the west half of the roof proper (excluding the gable ends and eave returns) with No. 1 Grade Red Cedar Shingles, and further; That subject to removal of the item relative to the supply and installation of new ABS coloured attic vents, the grant fundable portion of the work be completed in accordance with the specification of Heisler Roofing Inc. (Quotation No. 921003) dated August 17, 1992, and the grant be awarded conditional upon all original receipts being submitted to the Clerk's Division no later than December 31, 1992." 8. 314 OLD CHICOPEE DRIVE (MILLAR HOUSE) The Committee was provided with copies of a revised building report on this property which had been prepared by Mr. E. Bow with the assistance of Mrs. P. Wagner and from notes prepared by Mr. B. McKay, dated September 11, 1992. It was noted that a recommendation for designation of this property should not come forward until the matter has been discussed further with the owner. The Secretary was requested to provide the owner with a copy of the building report minus the recommendations. Further, it was determined that the recommendations would be further refined before coming back to this Committee. It was generally agreed to accept the report subject to future communications with the owner. DESIGNATING BY-LAW - 115 WOODSIDE AVENUE (FORMER WOODSIDE POOL) The Chairman had advised that he had been approached by Mr. F.S. Graham, Commissioner of Parks and Recreation, to defer any discussion on this matter to the Committee's October meeting. LOCAL ARCHITECTURAL CONSERVATION ADVISORY COMM/TTEE M/NUTES - 53- SEPTEMBER 11, 199~ 10. The Committee agreed to this deferral. TECHNICAL TRAINING WORKSHOP - PRESERVING ONTARIO'S ARCHITECTURE The Committee was in receipt of a letter from the Ministry of Culture and Communications dated August 6, 1992 concerning attendance at their annual technical training workshop. Ms. B. Buchanan, Mr. V. Tarbutt, Mrs. P. Wagner and Ms. M. Welsh advised that they wished to attend the workshop to take place in Hamilton on Saturday, November 28, 1992. 11. 12. 13. 14. HERITAGE DISTRICTS Ms. M. Welsh spoke briefly on this matter advising that she has provided some information to Mr. L. Bensason. She stated that a Heritage District in Victoria Park has already been approved by Council, however other Heritage Districts must still be approved by Council. She stated that the priority list for the top 5 Heritage Districts are 1. Victoria Park, 2. Civic Centre, 3. Downtown, 4. Pioneer Tower area and 5. the Spadina area. COMMUNICATIONS The Committee acknowledged receipt of the Communications items listed in the agenda. Special mention was made of the Conservation Review Board report for 133 Graber Place (Harvey J. Graber Transformer Station) and Alderman Wagner advised that the designation statement will be re-written based on the Conservation Review Board decision. Ms. L. O'Krafka reviewed the Heritage Week being put on by the Kitchener Public Library entitled "Downtown Kitchener: A Heritage For The Future". She advised that the bus tour cost would be $10.00. NEXT MEETING The next regular meeting of the Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee will be held on Friday, October 9, 1992. ADJOURNMENT On motion, the meeting adjourned at 3:40 p.m. Dianne H. Gilchrist Committee Secretary