HomeMy WebLinkAboutLACAC - 1992-08-07LACAC\1992-08-07
LOCAL ARCHITECTURAL CONSERVATION ADVISORY COMMITTEE MINUTES
AUGUST 7, 1992
The Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee met this date, commencing at 12:10 p.m.,
under the Chairmanship of Alderman M. Wagner, with the following members present: Ms. L. O'Krafka,
Ms. B. Buchanan, Mr. P. Bufe, Ms. S. Burke, Mrs. G. Stoner, Mrs. P. Wagner, Ms. S. Barber, Mr. V.
Tarbutt, Ms. S. Cragg, Mr. E. Bow, Mr. R. Fuller and Ms. M. Welsh. Alderman T. Galloway was in
attendance for part of the meeting.
Others Present: Messrs. L. Bensason, J. Witmer and G. Sosnoski.
1. MINUTES
Mrs. Wagner asked that the minutes of the July 3, 1992 meeting be amended to indicate that Mr.
V. Tarbutt is a member of the Kaufman Footwear sub-committee.
On a motion by Mr. E. Bow -
It was resolved:
"That the minutes of the regular meeting of the Local Architectural
Conservation Advisory Committee of July 3, 1992 be approved, as
amended."
2. 314 OLD CHICOPEE ROAD (MILLAR HOUSE)
The Committee was in receipt of a report from Mr. E. Bow dated May 31, 1992 recommending
designation.
Mr. J. Zimmer, Zand Development Corp., 29 Commercial Road, Toronto, appeared on behalf of
the owner. He advised that a draft subdivision plan has been approved for part of the 65 acre
parcel which includes 314 Old Chicopee Road, and that lotting has been arranged to permit future
use of the house as a single family dwelling. Mr. Zimmer stated that the owner does not object to
the proposed designation but wishes the by-law to be registered against the lot in question rather
than the entire 65 acre parcel. He asked that any designation be conditional upon the by-law
being registered after the plan of subdivision.
It was noted that designation is recommended for historic and architectural reasons and would
include all elevations and the roof of the house proper, but none of the outbuildings.
On a motion by Mr. E. Bow -
It was resolved:
"That consideration of the designation of 314 Old Chicopee Road (Millar
House) be deferred and referred to the September 11, 1992 L.A.C.A.C.
meeting pending further refining of the reasons for designation."
3. 100 DUKE STREET W. (ST. JEROME'S HIGH SCHOOL)
The Committee was circulated this date with the report of the sub-committee dated July 6, 1992
which recommends designation on historic and architectural grounds. The report recommends
designation of the exterior of both the 1907 and 1909, the Theatre, and selected interior features
of both the Chapel and main entrance foyer.
Mr. Paul Britton, Mr. Alex McDonald, Mr. Desmond Roychaudhuri and Mr. Bruce Lackenbauer
appeared on behalf of the owners.
Ms. O'Krafka outlined the features proposed for designation and indicated that at present there is
no prospective buyer for the property, nor an intended use. She noted that the remnants of the
orchestra pit should be added to the designation statement along with the statue of Father Funken
which is presently on site. Ms. O'Krafka referred to the legal description relative to the designating
by-law and asked whether the owners would object to its registration against the entire parcel.
LOCAL ARCHITECTURAL
CONSERVATION ADVISORY
COMMITTEE MINUTES
- 45-
AUGUST 7, 1999
3. 100 DUKE STREET W. (ST. JEROME'S HIGH SCHOOL) (cont.)
Mr. Britton indicated that the owners agree with the designation of the 1907 and 1909 building
facades save and except those elevations which interface between the older and newer portions of
the building. He asked that these interface areas be excluded from the designation. With respect
to the sub-committee report, Mr. Britton advised that he has been unable to review it in detail as he
had just received a copy prior to the meeting.
Mr. Britton pointed out that agreement had yet to be reached on the interior features proposed for
designation, and in particular those details comprising the main foyer of the Duke Street entrance.
He noted that alterations would be required in order to make the Theatre functional and that an
inventory of components in the Chapel had been agreed to. He voiced his opposition to the
designation, in situ, of the flooring and wainscotting as this would complicate any plans for
adaptive re-use of the building. He concluded that one further meeting involving the L.A.C.A.C.
sub-committee would be required to review the details of the proposed designation.
Ms. O'Krafka reviewed the interior features of the first floor proposed for designation and indicated
that the Committee would be remiss in not indicating that both the flooring and wainscotting have
architectural significance. She indicated support for the re-use of these materials in another part
of the building.
On a motion by Mr. P. Bufe -
It was resolved:
"That consideration of the proposed designation of 100 Duke Street W. (St.
Jerome's High School) be deferred and referred to the September 11, 1992
L.A.C.A.C. meeting, pending further discussion with the owners'
representatives of the specific features.
4. 400 KING STREET W. (KAUFMAN FOOTWEAR)
Mr. Britton introduced Mr. Roger Farwell, The Walter Fedy Partnership, who reviewed the
architectural evolution of the main factory buildings, referred to as the 1908, 1911, 1920 and 1925
buildings.
Mr. Farwell reviewed a conceptual Development Site Plan (Preliminary, August 11, 1992) and
suggested the 1920 and 1925 buildings would be preserved to whatever extent possible, with
restoration of the 1908 and 1911 facades consistant with the original design intent. He also
indicated that there is a potential to relocate all or part of Rubber Building "B", formerly used by the
Berlin Felt Boot Company. Mr. Farwell added that his client, Mr. Kaufman, feels strongly about the
preservation of these structures. Alderman Wagner asked that discussion continue with the sub-
committee as regards the proposed designation.
Ms. Burke inquired as to plans for the steam generator located in its original housing and Mr.
Farwell advised that it is still operable and at present Mr. Kaufman does not plan to relocate it to
another manufacturing location. He also pointed out that the industrial smoke stack would be
removed under the proposed plan. Mr. Bufe suggested that the plan would involve significant
changes to the facades of the 1908 and 1911 buildings. Mr. Farwell clarified that to some extent
there would be major changes to these facades, but not in terms of the rhythm and sequence of
the design. There would, however, be major changes between the open spandrels.
Ms. Burke suggested a review of the industrial building inventory in order to identify other buildings
in Kitchener similar to Rubber Building "B". She also noted that in her opinion the steam generator
is especially significant.
LOCAL ARCHITECTURAL
CONSERVATION ADVISORY
COMMITTEE MINUTES
- 46-
AUGUST 7, 199~
1188 OTTAWA STREET S. (HUETHER FARM)
The Committee was in receipt this date of a building report from Mrs. P. Wagner dated October 8,
1991 and a brief from Mr. Mel Code dated August 7, 1992 concerning development of the above
property. They were also in receipt of reasons for designation amended by Mrs. P. Wagner and
based on the above report.
A previous motion to designate this property was defeated at City Council on October 28, 1991.
Mr. Mel Code and Dr. Stephen Code appeared concerning their development plans for the above
property and displayed a concept plan. Mrs. P. Wagner noted that Mr. Code is recommending
that the attached doddy house be excluded from the designation.
Mr. Code advised that he has no problem with the designation at this time, however, the issue of
the doddy house is crucial as his over-riding consideration is the functional utility of the building.
Ms. Burke observed that there are other houses in the community with doddy compartments and
this particular example is in poor condition.
Mr. Code explained the proposed site plan including the parking and tree preservation
arrangements. He asked for clarification of which building features the Committee would be
prepared to recommend for designation, noting that the sale is scheduled to close at the end of the
month.
It was generally agreed that a recommendation to designate would be considered by the
Committee at such time as Mr. Code advises it is appropriate. In addition, the specific reasons
comprising the designation will be substantially those outlined in the "Reasons for Designation -
Summary" submitted by Mrs. P. Wagner, which is attached hereto and forms part of these
minutes. The Committee agreed that no revisions would be made unless there is mutual
agreement between the Codes and L.A.C.A.C.
HERITAGE CONSERVATION DISTRICTS
Ms. M. Welsh gave a synopsis of her report dated July 30, 1992 which was previously circulated to
Committee members. She asked that they respond to her indicating any other potential districts,
either suggested by them or previously discussed by the Committee. She then referred to the
potential districts identified and prioritized in her report.
Ms. O'Krafka asked that individual Committee members consider working in specific areas and
asked that these be assigned at the next meeting.
HERITAGE RESOURCES - PROPOSED OFFICIAL PLAN
It was generally agreed that the scheduled presentation by Ms. B. Newell and Mr. L. Bensason
would be deferred and referred to the September 11, 1992 and be the first item on the agenda.
Mr. Bensason indicated that he will revise the Heritage Resource Policies to reflect the most
recent report by the Minister's Advisory Committee on New Heritage Legislation. Copies of the
Advisory Committee's draft report dated June 17, 1992 were circulated this date.
OTHER BUSINESS
Ms. Cragg indicated that relative to the staff report for Zone Change Application 91/37/C/JG, she
had inspected the property in question and several of the buildings may be of interest to the
Committee.
Mrs. Wagner asked that the Clerk ensure that 621 Fischer Hallman Road has been removed from
the Heritage Inventory.
Mr. Bufe also asked that the Committee be provided with updates to the Heritage Inventory and list
of designated properties at the same time these are circulated to the Planning Department.
LOCAL ARCHITECTURAL
CONSERVATION ADVISORY
COMMITTEE MINUTES
- 47-
AUGUST 7, 199~
10.
NEXT MEETING
The next regular meeting of the Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee is scheduled
for Friday, September 11, 1992.
ADJOURNMENT
On motion, the meeting adjourned.
G. Sosnoski
Assistant City Clerk